Inside The Bills

Nix addresses inaccurate reports

Posted by Chris Brown on January 19, 2010 – 5:29 pm

With the Bills being the lone vacant head coaching job in the NFL, there were a myriad of reports flying around concerning who was interviewing, who was declining interviews and who was turning down the job. Bills GM Buddy Nix set the record straight on Tuesday when he introduced Chan Gailey as his head coach.

“I’d say, probably, given the benefit of the doubt, 20 percent of the things that were reported had some truth to it,” Nix said. “About 80 percent was complete fabrication and was amusing, really, and it made some good stories.

“You know, we talked about this guy and we offered this guy and we offered that guy … first of all, I’m smart enough, I wouldn’t offer a guy without him meeting our owner. That’s out of respect for him and he does own the team. The only guy that was invited in here to meet the owner is standing up here now. So that answers the question about how many got offered, I think. I also would tell you that without any doubt in my mind, we got the best qualified guy, a guy that was on the list early.

“We wanted to do a thorough search but we got the right guy. We got the right guy for us. I’ve got full confidence in him.”

As for the reports and speculation that working as head coach of the Bills was no longer a coveted job, Nix also had a response.

“I wish you guys had been answering my phone the last two weeks. We probably got, and I’m trying not to exaggerate, 15 calls a day begging for an interview and wanting this job,” Nix said. “I could’ve hired 35 or 40 the first week and you would be shocked at some of the names. All of this stuff you see about folks. I saw where a couple of guys or one guy turned down a chance to interview and I was there and I must have been 1,000 miles away at the time. So, trust me, it’s a good job.”


Tags: ,
Posted in Inside the Bills