Inside The Bills

Seymour trade completes turnover at cornerback

Posted by Chris Brown on September 3, 2017 – 9:02 am

He was the last remaining hold over player from last year’s secondary. Kevon Seymour was the lone cornerback on the Bills roster who played on the team in 2016. On Saturday, like all the other former teammates, the 2016 sixth-round pick was traded for WR Kaelin Clay in a deal with Carolina.

Seymour joins Corey White, Ronald Darby, Stephon Gilmore, Nickell Robey, who were either released, not re-signed or traded in the 2017 offseason.

In fact there is only one player in Buffalo’s entire secondary that was on Buffalo’s roster in 2016. Colt Anderson, who spent most of the 2016 season on injured reserve is the only remaining safety from last year’s roster.

Change at the top often means change to the roster, and at a typically higher rate than the league average of 25-30 percent. Head coach Sean McDermott and GM Brandon Beane right now are well above that average as they are determined to build the team the right way with the right player makeup for sustained success.


Tags: , ,
Posted in Inside the Bills

Beane prefers single cut down from 90

Posted by Chris Brown on September 1, 2017 – 6:05 pm

This year the NFL eliminated the first cut down to 75, which took place almost a week ahead of the cut down to 53 players for regular season rosters. GM Brandon Beane, who was part of more than his fair share of cut down decisions in Carolina, prefers the single cut down for a couple of reasons.

In an appearance on the John Murphy Show this week, Beane explained why.

“It gives us the roster battles,” he said. “With injuries, you want to protect your starters. I’ve experienced before where we’ve had to play starters more than we wanted to in (preseason) game four because of we didn’t have the back-ups there and we had to get down to 75, and you couldn’t get rid of guys because they had injuries.

“We did release some guys where we had some depth, so that let us weed out some guys, so we can focus on others. At the end of the day, I like the flexibility of being able to keep up to 90. If we had to get down to 75 would have made it harder. Some of the guys that wouldn’t have played (against the Lions), or played minimally, might’ve had to play.”


Tags: ,
Posted in Inside the Bills

Beane squashes McCoy trade rumors

Posted by Chris Brown on August 26, 2017 – 6:57 pm

LeSean McCoy addressed the trade rumors with Bills GM Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott and relayed to Buffalobills.com and the media that trading him is not on their radar. Prior to Buffalo’s game with the Ravens, Beane supported McCoy’s comments earlier in the week that the feature back is not going to be part of any trade going forward.

“I don’t know where the rumor came from, but that’s why we didn’t say anything,” said Beane. “There was nothing to it. LeSean’s going to be a Buffalo Bill.”


Tags: ,
Posted in Inside the Bills

Pegula goes low key with GM/coach meetings

Posted by Chris Brown on August 2, 2017 – 7:09 pm

When you’re an owner and CEO of two major league franchises your time can be short, so one would think that Bills and Sabres owner Terry Pegula would need to have regimented schedule to have time for all the interactions that need to take place between his front office staff for the two clubs and the head coaches. But Pegula prefers to do just the opposite and meet on an impromptu basis with Bills GM Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott.

“It’s very casual,” said Pegula. “I like things low key, so I may walk into (Sean McDermott’s) office unannounced and talk for an hour. Or he may go in my office or Brandon or whomever. That’s the way I like to do things, rather than be all official and say, ‘Hey we’re going to have a meeting next Tuesday at two o’clock.’ Because I may not be there because something else has come up.”

The approach makes sense knowing Pegula, and his wife and co-owner Kim, can be pulled in any number of directions at a moment’s notice with all their companies, holding and properties that demand their attention.


Tags: , ,
Posted in Inside the Bills

Absence of cut down to 75 is fine w/Bills brass

Posted by Chris Brown on July 28, 2017 – 1:13 pm

This summer there will be no roster reduction from 90 to 75 a week prior to the cut down to 53. The NFL vanquished the roster cut down to 75 after coaches and clubs voiced a desire to hold on to as many players on their roster as possible, for as long as possible, knowing injuries can happen at any time with two preseason games still on the schedule historically after the cut to 75. Bills head coach Sean McDermott and GM Brandon Beane were both glad to see the cut down to 75 disappear.

“It’s nice not to have to cut down,” McDermott said. “Again, we talked about the timeline earlier when it was brought up. You get a longer look at some players, you get more bodies in camp so it takes some wear and tear off some players that would still be in camp at that point in time, so I like that that got passed and that should help all teams, really.”

While Beane is glad to see the cutdown to 75 go too, he does have the foresight to realize it will translate to more work for his personnel department on the back end when the cut to 53 is made.

“I actually like it. I was a proponent of doing that in Carolina,” Beane said. “I think it just helps us. Sometimes guys are banged up, so the last two preseason games, it gives us another week to get guys healthy and another week to maybe see a guy that hasn’t played as much, and give him one more chance in the fourth game. I think it’s a great move by the league to do that. Now, it makes it, that last cut harder and we’re going to have to do a little more work not only on our own roster, but evaluating the other teams rosters a week later. There’s 15 additional guys per team that we have to look at.”


Tags: , ,
Posted in Inside the Bills

Watkins: My job is to stay around here forever

Posted by Chris Brown on July 27, 2017 – 11:52 pm

Bills WR Sammy Watkins is entering a contract year after the club did not pick up his fifth-year option. Watkins isn’t offended by not having his option picked up. Quite the contrary. He said he would rather earn a new long term contract with his play, and he’d like to stay in Buffalo for a long time.

“I love Buffalo. They drafted me first round, fourth pick,” Watkins said. “My job is to stay here for a while. That’s the goal. You don’t want to change teams. My job is to stay around here forever. That’s the goal.”

Even though the team chose not to pick up the option it hasn’t changed what the club thinks of their top receiver. Their plan going forward is to steadily build up Watkins’ conditioning as they move through training camp and the preseason.

“We know the type of player Sammy is and he’s a great young man,” said GM Brandon Beane, who had not been hired prior to the fifth-year option decision. “I think we just want to build him up until he’s comfortable with a full slate like he would normally be.”


Tags: ,
Posted in Inside the Bills

Hiring of Beane fortuitous after Gettleman firing

Posted by Chris Brown on July 17, 2017 – 1:46 pm

The Bills hired Brandon Beane as their new general manager this past May. Two months later the man Beane worked under with the Carolina Panthers was fired as GM. Knowing Beane was being groomed to be the heir apparent to now former Panthers GM Dave Gettleman, Buffalo’s hiring was fortunately ahead of the curve.

Beane, who is a North Carolina native, admitted that he initially wrestled with the prospect of becoming Buffalo’s GM after he spent his entire pro career with the Panthers. But after meeting the Pegulas and sensing their passion and determination to build a winner, he was sold on building the Bills into a perennial contender.

Hiring Beane effectively removed him as an option for the Panthers and with Panthers team President Danny Morrison resigning in February, there is a notable dearth of leadership at the top for the Carolina club owned by Jerry Richardson.


Tags: ,
Posted in Inside the Bills

Gettleman calls Beane ready for GM role

Posted by Chris Brown on May 10, 2017 – 3:11 pm

Carolina GM Dave Gettleman, who willingly handed Bills new GM Brandon Beane more and more responsibility over the four years they worked together in the Panthers front office, feels Beane is more than ready to take on the demands of a general manager’s job in the NFL.

“I’m thrilled that Brandon has been selected as general manager of the Bills,” Gettleman said in a team statement. “He has worked his way from the bottom up and is prepared for this. He is thoughtful, meticulous, and a leader. He was instrumental in what we have been able to accomplish in Carolina in the past few years, winning three division titles, an NFC Championship and earning a Super Bowl appearance. His wide variety of knowledge and experience will serve him well in Buffalo. I wish Brandon nothing but the best.”


Tags: ,
Posted in Inside the Bills

Marty Hurney: The Bills hit a home run

Posted by Chris Brown on May 9, 2017 – 7:56 pm

Ex-Panthers GM Marty Hurney, who was a mentor of newly named Bills GM Brandon Beane, was just as happy for the Bills organization as he was for Beane when he was made the 13th GM in team history. 

“The Bills hit a home-run here,” said Hurney. “Brandon has a feel for every facet of the football side of things – from personnel to the salary cap to operations to everything. You name it he has been involved with it. He has a great feel. He is one of the hardest workers you will find. He is one of the most competitive guys you will find, but that’s what drives him. He is exceptional.”


Tags: ,
Posted in Inside the Bills