• Concrete and joint repairs are continuing in the first 8 rows of the upper deck on the south side, in the red club level seating and in the end zone club level. This will be followed by an application of a traffic-coating/water-barrier that will give us a better shot at protecting the areas below from water leaks. Similar work was done last summer on the north side upper deck.
• The broadcast booth (formerly, the press box) at the 50-yard line is taking shape as we construct individual booths for home and visiting coaches, broadcast TV, radio broadcast, clock operators, instant replay and two suites. All of the windows will be removed next week followed by the installation of new operable windows.
• The top floor of the admin building will house the new video scoreboard control room that was relocated from the old press box and the game day command center booths that were relocated from the roof top of the admin building. All of the walls are up. Painting and ceiling grids will be complete by the end of next week.
• Monumental stairs – permanent shoring and protection of the 155’ stadium light towers is in place, the very large excavations are complete and demolition of the stadium wall has begun on the north side. We expect to break through the wall next week and start forming the foundations for the new stairway. Demolition of the south side wall will follow in the next few weeks.
• The new 10” diameter stainless steel water main that is hung from the ceiling of the 100 level concourse is now 60% complete.
• Concession stands – food service equipment has been delivered to the site and is being installed. Wall construction is complete in about 80% of the stands and the new ceramic tiles on the soffits and fascia are complete on about 25% of the stands.
• Certain concession stands on the 300 level were removed and are being rebuilt (together with new restrooms) in new locations on the roofs of the sideline clubs. The new block work is visible above the Jim Kelly clubs and will be visible by next week above the Van Miller and Paul Maguire clubs.
• We’re starting to install grids on the north side lower concourse for the new linear light systems.
• All of the walls in the writing press box (formerly, the Red Zone Club) are complete. Fire protection sprinkler work is being installed this week.
• The operations building is complete and the staff has occupied the space.
• Overhead garage doors at the docks and inside the building have been installed. Dock levelers have been installed at the entrance to the loading docks.
• The concrete sidewalk around the exterior of the building and the remaining 2 concrete stairways will be poured this week.
• There will be a screen assembled on the roof next to hide the mechanical equipment from view.
• The interior is filling in quickly: All partition walls are complete, ceiling grids are 80% complete with lights, fire alarm systems and ceiling grids to follow, floor coverings will be installed in office spaces this week, cabinetry and counters installation will start this week, installation of food service equipment, including freezers, coolers, exhaust hoods, dishwashers, etc. is on-going, concrete bases for site lighting are being set this week and the remaining asphalt in the admin lot will be stripped next week in preparation for final pavement courses.
• Expected completion is June 2014.
• The foundation walls for the locker room expansion at the east end and for the weight room expansion at the west end are complete.
• Structural steel erection has begun at both ends and is expected to be complete this week. Construction of the block exterior walls has begun at the weight room.
• Placement of the structural steel for the cafeteria expansion is also expected to be complete by mid next week.
• New entry gates and identification pylons have been quickly popping up. To date, the skeletons for gates 1, 2, and 3, and pylons at 2 and 3 are up. Steel for all other gates and pylons are on site and will continue to be erected.
• Earthwork excavation for the new ramp system in the west end has begun and will continue over the next few weeks.
•The main scoreboard in the west end is 95%. Some elements were tested yesterday and they looked great.
• Framing on the former tri-vision board and on the two new scoreboards in the tunnel end is just about finished. When crews are finished installing elements in the main (west end) board they will move to the three boards in the tunnel end.
• Structural steel assembly is complete and roof deck installation has begun.
• Side walls are going up and exterior block work will start this week.
• Concrete floor slab has been poured.
• Plumbing for the restrooms is ongoing.
• In a very short time, we will start painting exterior surfaces. Watch for a dramatic change to our exterior colors.
• As of today, we have 58 separate contracts issued and just short of 600 men and women working on our project
Posted in Inside the Bills, Off the Field